Access and General Studies
Access and General Studies Centre was set up to coordinate Access Programme and GST Courses in the University.
One of the mandates of the Centre is to provide access to higher education to those who are short of the required five O’Level credits for admission into degree programmes. This is in keeping with the openness admission policy of the National Open University of Nigeria, an open and distance learning institution. This Programme is for one academic year of two semesters.
- REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION INTO ACCESS PROGRAMME
- The candidate must possess a minimum of three credits in SSCE/GCE/NECO/NABTEB one of which must be the main subject needed for the degree programme he/she intends to pursue later. For instance ,to be admitted to read B.sc Mathematics, he/she must have a credit in Mathematics at O’ level.
- The subjects the candidates will study in the Access programme must be those he/she had studied and failed at O’level and these must not be more than two.
- LIST OF COURSES TO BE TAKEN
The following are the O’Level Subjects available in the Access Programme: English Language 4 credits Literature in English 4 credits Mathematics 4 credits Physics 4 credits Chemistry 4 credits Biology 4 credits
NOTE I: A student can only take a maximum of two and a minimum of one of the above subjects in addition to one general course; DLS001, Distance Learning Skills which is compulsory for all Access students.
NOTE II: Students should not register for any course including GST courses until he/she successfully completes the Access courses.
NOTE III: Access students must not register for Access examination until the second semester of the academic year they were admitted.
The following GST courses are to be studied and passed by every undergraduate student in a degree programme in the University.
- GST 101 - Use of English and Communication Skills I
2credits GST 102 - Use of English and Communication Skills II 2credits GST 105 - History and Philosophy of Science 2 credits GST 107 The Good Study Guide 2 credits GST 201 - Nigerian Peoples and Cultures 2 credits GST 202 - Peace Studies & Conflict Resolutions 2 credits GST 203 - Introduction to Philosophy & Logic 2 credits GST 301 - Entrepreneurship Studies I 2 credits
|Prof. Uche Mercy Okonkwo||Director|
|Miss. Nora Onwumelu||Lecturer II|
|Mr. Amusa Jamiu Oluwadamilare||Assistant Lecturer|
|Mr. Ade Adegunwa||(ACEO)|
|Mrs. Judith Iduwe||Senior Confidential Secretary|
|Mr. Yusuf O. Adeyemi||Senior clerical Officer|