SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
The School of Education of the National Open University of Nigeria is regarded as the foremost School of Education in Nigeria providing highly accessible and enhanced quality education anchored by social justice, equity, and national cohesion through a comprehensive reach that transcends all barriers.
To provide qualitative, functional and cost effective programmes through the ODL modes in teacher education and allied disciplines.
Our commitment to the above mission shall be realised through the following:
- Provision of wider access to professional training in the field of education generally in an open distance learning environment;
- Provision of flexible but qualitative programmes in teacher education and allied disciplines.
- Enhancement of professional ethics by laying emphasis on both national and international codes of conduct for education personnel;
- Integration of information technology media in the provision of programmes in teacher education and allied disciplines.
- Embarking on training and retraining of those in the field of education, with a view to enhancing their productivity;
- Provision of opportunities for academic and professional growth of those in the education profession;
- Provision of programmes that will produce highly motivated, conscientious and efficient class-room teachers, educational managers and evaluators at all levels of educational systems;
- Provision of opportunities for acquisition of professional training to the less privileged and those with special needs; and
- Development of the spirit of enquiry, creativity and hard work in the students, teachers, educational administrators, evaluators and research workers.
The School of Education is mandated by the Senate of the National Open University of Nigeria to:
- Produce highly motivated, conscientious and efficient personnel for all levels of educational systems;
- Encourage further the spirit of enquiry and creativity in educational personnel
- Help educational personnel to fit into social life of the community and the society at large and enhance their commitment to national goals;
- Provide educational personnel with the intellectual and professional background adequate for their assignment and make them adaptable to changing situations;
- Enhance teachers' commitment to the teaching profession;
- Produce teachers in specialised areas for people with special needs;
- Produce educators who have good understanding of the increasing complexity of technology; and
- Provide serving teachers and educational administrators and research workers with the technical skills so as to expose Nigerian students to awareness by exploring usable options in the world of works