Brief History Of National Open University Of Nigeria Community Study Centre, Ikom, Cross River State.
The Centre was born in August, 2015 with the reposting of Dr. Kate U. Ambrose to the Centre as the Centre Director and only Staff. However, applications for admission commenced around December, 2015 due to background work that needed to put the place in a conducive learning condition. Advocacy commenced without delay at the level of a biannual Local Government function termed “Ikom High Life”. This extended to other faculties in Ikom with the Director alone guided by a son of the soil Mr. Tamme Takon till November, 2015. By January 2016 a Senior Assistant Registrar (SAR) Mr. Mike Mkpang reported for duty. In March, 2016 ten Junior Staff of all categories were recruited and employed, while a Senior Accountant (SA) Mr. Ibe Julius I. joined the Staff in June, 2016. The SAR was reposted to Emevor in May, 2016 and was replaced with an Assistant Registrar (Prince Koroye Douye) in April, 2017. The Centre is actually located at Adijinkpor in Ikom Local Government Area and hosted by the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports (Youth Camp).
The community embraced the advent of NOUN leading to the appointment of a working committee with the Director by the then Chairman, Ikom Local Government (Mr. Ojong, Ayiba)
Facilities abound, such as: an administrative block, Furnished E-exam block, Library facility, sickbay, a facility for development of a Moot Court for the Law students, a block of Classrooms for facilitation and two hostel complexes. Others under construction are: a multi-purpose auditorium, another block of classrooms, a block of two flats for staff occupation and bore hole. Hence, accommodation is adequate, while the Centre has the potential to expand as it serves the Central and Northern parts of Cross River State. Its establishment is a big relief to the people in this part of the State.
- We have conducted Students’ orientation ceremony twice;
- Matriculation Ceremony has been conducted twice;
- In the same vein, examinations have been conducted twice and
- Students’ forum, once.
- IT, Practicum and Seminars have been successfully conducted.
- In-house Seminars have been conducted for the Junior Staff.
- Counselling of inquirers, fresh and returning students is very effective and worthwhile.
- The Youth Camp we occupy was an abandoned property for over ten years and in fact, almost a forest. However, the story has changed with constant clearing of bushes and planting of flowers for a beautiful picturesque.
- The environment was devoid of network. However, a network system has been installed.
- E- chat via whatsapp was opened through which we communicate with the students and they also chat within themselves.
The Centre commenced with a population of about a hundred students and has expanded to above two hundred students despite the economic constraints in the country.
Why Students Should Choose The Centre
The Centre is strategically located in a serene environment suitable for academic activities. Student choosing the Centre is of great advantage; accommodation is very affordable, we issue current course materials, have facilities for recreational and social activities, and above all our Staff and facilitators are always on ground to provide any of the students’ needs. The door is open to all and sundry. Therefore, Ikom Community Study Centre is unique in her attitude towards the public and quality assurance is best to none. Join us for its flexibility, cost effectiveness, proximity, customer friendly Staff, study at your pace and finish as planned.