Welcome to the home page of the NOUN Quality Assurance Unit. The NOUN Quality Assurance Unit is a unit within the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. Established in August 2014, the Quality Assurance Unit of NOUN is a reflection of the University’s commitment to promoting institutional excellence through quality enhancement of its educational provisions in order to meet learners and stakeholders’ expectations, and to achieve a competitive advantage in the higher education sector. The primary focus of the Unit is to promote a culture of quality through continuous improvement of institutional practices and service delivery. These web pages are designed to provide information to staff and stakeholders about the University’s quality assurance policy, procedures and standards, the quality review process, and reports on quality-related activities as well as good practices.
The NOUN Quality Assurance Unit provides training and assistance on quality assurance to staff in all sections of the university, create awareness about quality, and prepares Units for quality review activities with a view to developing and maintaining a culture of quality enhancement in teaching-learning, research, and community engagement. The Unit’s overall objective is to embed a robust quality management system that promotes a culture of quality through continuous improvement of institutional practices. By developing an institutional quality assurance system, the National Open University of Nigeria, through its quality assurance unit, seeks to ensure high quality standards of its provisions and graduates by monitoring, maintaining, and improving institutional practices to meet with the standards and guidelines it has set for itself in line with national and international benchmarks for Open and Distance Learning systems.
- Vice-Chancellor Commissions the QA Unit The Quality Assurance Unit of NOUN was commissioned on the 28th October 2015 by the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Vincent Ado Tenebe. The commissioning, which was in conjunction with that of the OER unit, was witnessed by the University’s Principal Officers, Deans, Directors, Heads of Units, and members of the QA Committee. On behalf of the two Units, Dr Ofulue, Head of the QA Unit, expressed appreciation to the Vice-Chancellor for his immense support and promised to put in their best in improving the quality of the institution’s services. •Institutional Research The Quality Assurance Unit participated in an institutional research study commissioned by NOUN and facilitated by the ACDE QAAA on Assessing Quality Practices in the National Open University of Nigeria. The findings of the survey will inform the development of policies and procedures for quality assurance processes in the NOUN. The Quality Assurance Unit of NOUN participated in two workshops organized by the ACDE QAAA on Policy and Manual Development, held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania 6th-7th March 2015, and in Lagos, Nigeria 2nd-3rd June 2015 respectively.
- Creating awareness and building capacity in Quality Assurance in NOUN, May 2015. The Quality Assurance Unit of NOUN held the first in the series of sensitization workshops on Quality Assurance for top-level Management from 13th- 15th May 2015 in Lagos. This was followed by an induction workshop for the University’s QA committee members. The workshops were facilitated by Dr Ephraim Mhlanga, a QA expert from South Africa Institute for Distance Education (SAIDE). A report of the workshop also featured in SAIDE’s newsletter, Issue 3, 2015. To view, click the link: http://www.saide.org.za/resources/newsletters/Vol_21_no.3_2015/Content/NOUN.html [News Bulletin: Vol.1. Issue 3, 2015]
- NOUN Linkages and Partnership Initiative with institutions in the United Kingdom, 24th- 28th November 2014
- The National Open University of Nigeria through the UK Trade and Investment Unit of the British High Commission embarked on an initiative to explore opportunities for linkages and partnerships with institutions in the United Kingdom. The Quality Assurance Unit of NOUN was a part of the NOUN delegation headed by Prof. Sidi Osho that visited two institutions and met with eight other institutions. Quality assurance was one of the areas identified for partnership with UK institutions, especially those with provisions for flexible learning in order to understudy the Quality Assurance arrangements, which is informed by the UK framework of guidelines for Quality Assurance for Higher Education. • Collaboration Between NOUN QUALITY ASSURANCE Unit and ACDE QAAA to Institutionalize Quality Culture in NOUN, 20th-21st January 2015. The Quality Assurance Unit organized a two-day sensitization workshop for Deans and Study Centre Directors in keeping with its mandate to embed a culture of quality in NOUN in Lagos. [News Bulletin: Vol. 1. Issue 1, 2015] •Collaboration Between NOUN QUALITY ASSURANCE Unit and ACDE QAAA to Institutionalize Quality Culture in NOUN, 20th-21st January 2015. The Quality Assurance Unit organized a two-day sensitization workshop for Deans and Study Centre Directors in keeping with its mandate to embed a culture of quality in NOUN in Lagos. [News Bulletin: Vol. 1. Issue 1, 2015]
In fulfilment of its advocacy and training mandate, the Unit organises and participates in workshops for sensitisation and capacity building in quality assurance matters. REPORTS •One-day Sensitization Workshop on Quality Assurance for Study Centre Staff, Zone 2 (South-East, South-South, South-Central). Held on the 3rd August 2016 at the NOUN Enugu Study Centre, Nike Lake Road, Enugu. [News Bulletin, Vol.2, Issue 1, 2016]
- One-day Sensitization Workshop on Quality Assurance for Study Centre Staff, Zone 1 North-East, North-West and North Central) Held on the 9th March, 2016 at the NOUN Model Study Centre, Dutse Alhaji, Abuja. [News Bulletin, Vol.2. Issue 1, 2016]
National Open University of Nigeria Plot 91, Cadastral Zone, Nnamdi Azikiwe Express Way, Jabi-Abuja.