To be regarded as the foremost university providing highly accessible and enhanced quality education anchored by social justice, equity, equality and national cohesion through a comprehensive reach that transcends all barriers.
To provide functional, cost-effective, flexible learning which adds life-long value to quality education for all who seek knowledge.
In addition to the broad vision and mission statements, some of the major objectives of the National Open University of Nigeria is to:
- ensure equity and equality of opportunities in education generally but specifically in university education;
- provide a wider access to education generally but specifically university education in Nigeria;
- enhance Education For All and life-long learning;
- provide the entrenchment of global learning culture;
- provide instructional resources via an intensive use of information and communication technology;
- provide flexible, but qualitative education; and
- reduce the cost, inconveniences, and hassles of easy access to education and its delivery.